Thursday, November 06, 2008

Karaoke Anniversary




My wife and I just celebrated our 20th anniversary. Well, celebrated is not EXACTLY the word, it was a school night there was much to do, so the closest to a celebration was a cherry cheesecake my mom-in-law made. But, because of a little ingenuity and a little bit of nerve, I made it a special one.




You must understand, when it comes to birthdays and anniversaries, I have been the king of buffoons. I would forget altogether, remember last minute and try to slip out for a card, or make some flimsy excuse why I was late or forgot or whatever. Unfortunately, I can count on more than one hand the number of times I've done this; what can I say, I have a mind like a siv.




This year, since it was the big two-oh, I figured, I better do something original at the very least. For years, we had planned (more like fantasized) that we would all go on a cruise for our 20th. By then, we rationed, Livie would be 6 and old enough to go on a cruise (this was BA...Before Autism). Over the next 6 years, our world has turned upside-down, sideways and inside out. No cruise for YOU!




Having always been a Beatles fan, I personally always wanted to rewrite Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, with the "It was 20 years ago today" line as my basis for the anniversary song. I had never really sat down and done it though, until last week. Last night, I found my copy of SPLHCB and popped it into the DVD player and gathered the whole family into the living room. When Linda heard the opening strains of the song and realized what was going on, she used Livie as a shield to hide her face, she HATES to be singled out, even in the family. As I sang my heart out through the song, Jason wasn't exactly kind, not really getting what was going on, and was throwing mock vegetables at my performance. Livie got all wound up by my rendition, and it took her an extra half hour to get to bed.


I got through the song, pretty well I might add, and I could tell that I had FINALLY exceeded Linda's expectations for an anniversary gift. Think of it, no money spent; just a little bit of embarrassment and I WOW-ed her! I have to think of MORE songs to parody, any #25 songs out there?


OK, here's the parody, first person who comments AWWWWW though is gonna join Lucy in the sky with a bump on their head!


Sung to the tune of Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

It was 20 years ago today.
I took your pretty hand to say
That I wanted you to be my wife
And I wanted you to share my life

So let’s reiterate to you
The fact that after all these years

I still love you after 20 years…

Well, I still love you after 20 years
I’ll probably go for 40 more
I still love you after 20 years
I really even love you more

I still really love you
I still really love you
I still love you after 20 years

It’s wonderful to be us
It’s still even a thrill
We’re such a perfect match that
I just can’t believe I have you
I just have to pinch myself

Well I really want our love to grow
And there’s one thing that I need to know
I’m standing here on bended knee
In hopes you’re still in love with me.
And if you want to handle what’s in store
Will you love me for even 20 more?

Will you still love me when I’m 64?

SIX-TY FOUR?

No comments: